Skinner Street

Showing results 1 to 10 of 21
factfile

1704 & 1741 Church Covenants Associated with Skinner Street Congregational Chapel

The covenants were adopted by the membership of the Great Presbyterian Meeting House, Hill Street, Poole and both arose from divisive disputes. The first concerned church governance, the authority to appoint the minister, in particular. It was a key factor in a secession of members from St. James’ Church, resulting in the formation of the Hill Street meeting house. The second arose from theological differences, which contributed to an unknown number of members leaving in 1739 and later the same issues resulted in a large number leaving to set up the Lagland Street Congregational Chapel, the predecessor of the Skinner Street Congregational Chapel (founded in 1760 and 1777 respectively). SSCC
Factfile
factfile

Congregational Baptisms 1741-1837

A transcription of Skinner Street Congregational Church Baptisms 1741-1837. Created by a joint project of Skinner Street United Reformed Church and Poole Museum using equipment kindly provided by the Somerset and Dorset Family History Society.PRS.
Factfile
Deacons 1954-1955
photograph

Deacons 1954-1955

Museum Ref No: H4g_0001
Skinner Street United Reformed Church; deacons; 1954-1955 Back Row (standing) from left:- Bessie Freeborn, EDd. Lisby, Philip Perry, Patricia Varallo, Derek Christopher (son), Harold Christopher (father), Miss Barrington, Mr South Front Row (sitting) from left:- Arthur Brown, Bill Trew, Rev F. O. Brown, Bill Knight, Archie Dacombe. Taken just prior to Rev. F. O. Brown leaving area
Photograph
Deacons 3/1949
photograph

Deacons 3/1949

Museum Ref No: H4f_0001
Skinner Street United Reformed Church; deacons; names below picture; 3/1949 B.C. Christopher,H.F. Cutler, B.A. Dacombe, A.E. Brown, Miss.J. Goodfellow, Mrs. W. G. Curran, H. E. Best, Rev. F. O. Brown, M. A. , W. Knight, Miss. B. Freeborn
Photograph
factfile

Particulars of Costs of Building Lagland St. Chapel in 1760

This document contains the costs of building the new Lagland Street Chapel, and lists of donors/donations and of pew subscriptions in the new Chapel. It contains some interesting footnotes that cover: the weights and measures of the period; the form of leasehold; and the meaning of some archaic terms associated with its construction, and certain aspects of social history embedded within the accounts. SSCC
Factfile
factfile

Poole People Index

The Poole People Index is a useful finding aid which covers a number of sources including: 1841 Census for Canford Magna and Poole St. James. 1851 Census for Canford, Gt. Canford, Hamworthy, Kinson, Longfleet, Oakley and Parkstone. 1891 Census for Longfleet and Poole. Parish registers for Canford Magna, Hamworthy and St. James. Skinner Street United Reform Church records. Poole Quaker marriages. The index was created by a joint project of Poole Museum Service and the Somerset and Dorset Family History Society. PRS.
Factfile
factfile

Presentment submitted to the Judge of Assizes in 1681

The presentment (a complaint or request) was submitted by the Grand Jury of Dorset to the Judge of Assizes in 1681, complaining about the rector of St. James' Church, Poole, Rev. Samuel Hardy. Hardy had been a controversial choice because of his dissenting views and theology - St James Church being Church of England. Hardy was ejected on 3 August 1682, following a further complaint.
Factfile
Skinner Street Congregational Church - Centenary Leaflet (1877)
document

Skinner Street Congregational Church - Centenary Leaflet (1877)

The images are of a 7-page leaflet, commemorating the first centenary of the Skinner Street Congregationalist Church. Martin Kemp-Welch's name appears at the end of the leaflet, indicating that he may have been the author. PRC. SSCC
Document
Skinner Street Congregational Church - Some glimpses into our history
document

Skinner Street Congregational Church - Some glimpses into our history

The images are of a 4-page leaflet containing a concise history of the Skinner Street United Reformed Church, Poole (formerly, the Skinner Street Congregational Church). It was originally written in 1987 by Rev. W. A. Kerr and later revised and augmented by Mr. R. E. Harding, in 1996. PRS. SSCC
Document
factfile

Skinner Street Congregational Church Baptisms 1838-1902

A transcription of Skinner Street Congregational Church Baptisms 1838-1902. Created by a joint project of Skinner Street United Reformed Church and Poole Museum, using equipment kindly provided by the Somerset and Dorset Family History Society. PRS. SSCC
Factfile